Saturday, May 1, 2010

Miracles do happen- The Omnipresent Yellow Taxi Wala

Kolkata is not only known for its Misthi Doi, Rosagulla, Eden Garden, Metro and Rabindranath Tagore but also an ideal city for Photographers especially for those who love and relish street photography, like me. So when my company asked for a volunteer to visit Kolkata for some urgent assignment, I was the first one to raise hand. (Oblivious of the scorching heat, humidity and what lied in store for me)

Carrying my new canon 1000D, I reached the Dum Dum Airport and soon sat in the omnipresent yellow taxi to begin my one hour journey to Hotel. I quickly downed the window and started instantly clicking pictures (As if, I was on a photo shoot). Soon, I was draped in the curiosity of capturing the city of joy on my camera and one hour passed by like a whisker.

The next two days were pretty busy (albeit I did watch the KKR Vs RC match at Eden Garden; Company was one of the sponsors) and unfortunately I could not utilize my camera to greater extent (few clicks here and there!). But then I had one last chance to capture the city of joy, once again though, through the windows of the yellow taxi. I took out my prized possession and geared up to start rolling, when suddenly I realized that an important equipment of my camera was missing. How could I be so careless? Why didn’t I notice it before? Will I find it or not? Such negative thoughts started meandering through my mind. My effervescent smiled vanished and despondency loomed all over me. My biggest nightmare was coming true!!

Confused by my faux pa, I packed my luggage and reached the Airport (all I could think during the one hour journey was about the camera quipment). Two days before I was a sight to stare but today I was like the Indian cricket team after losing to Bangladesh in the 2007 World Cup. As I was about to enter, a brilliant Einstein like idea stuck my mind. The only place I could have left the equipment other than the room (which i did search) has to be the YELLOW TAXI. I quickly searched my wallet and took out the taxi receipt. A ray of hope was still there, as it was for India against Sri Lanka in the world cup. After frantic search I found the receipt and prayed that that the end result would not be similar to what had happened to our cricket team in the Caribbean. (India lost to Sri Lanka and were out in the priliminary round itself)

My luggage was falling all over and the heat was killing me, still I gather some strength and ran towards the taxi stand. I met the president (i think so, he looked like one) of the Airport Taxi stand and narrated my story. He made frantic calls here and there and reassured incase the equipment was found he would intimate me. But then I was not residing in Kolkata and I had a flight to catch (what was he thinking??). With lost hope I thanked him and dragged myself towards the airport (Now I could start empathizing with the cricket team). I got my boarding card and was moving towards the security counter, when suddenly my phone rang!

With lackadaisical voice I picked up the phone; on hearing the voice from the other side I suddenly shouted with joy (as if India had miraculously won the World Cup and the Bangladesh defeat was a dream). It was the taxi driver!!. They have found the equipment. I could not believe my luck and thanked God for it (and off course the Yellow Taxi Guy). I rushed towards the exit gate and requested the guard to let me go. He was not convinced by my story and asked me the talk to his seniors. The same process continued till I finally approached the head of security. After narrating my story with a melancholy tone and fake tears, I convinced him to let me go.

As soon as I came out, I ran towards the taxi stand as I was competing against time. A group of taxi drivers were standing including the one I had met two days back. They all looked at me as a prospective client, but soon they realized that I was the lost goods guy (ala the lost guy). With a reassuring smile they handed me my camera equipment. I was speechless and could not believe that I had my equipment back. I had lost all hope but as they say, "Mircales do happen", and this was no less than a miracle.

I thought of giving him some money for his honesty but then the Citibank card advertisement flashed my mind and instead, I gave home something more priceless, I hugged him (I am sure he would have wanted the same:-)). Never before I had felt so contended and happy to hug a stranger. My effervescent smile was back and I quickly did a Usain bolt 100 m dash and made on time to board my flight.

Looking out of the plane window I pondered; Even in today`s materialistic world honesty still exists and that MIRACLES do happen…..but not in cricket world cup though!

No comments:

Post a Comment